Saturday, December 29, 2012

Camping: A Cold Day in Hell


Let me just preface this with an admission: I’m not a camper. I like nice and comfy. But, as the mother of two boys, I try to be a good sport. So when my oldest asked to go on a Boy Scout winter camping trip, I said sure. I imagined myself relaxing in the tent reading the funny book I just started and laughing out loud without anyone looking at me funny. This summer, we purchased a gigantic tent and air mattresses, so why not. At least in the winter, you won’t melt.
What I didn’t imagine was shivering so much that I actually lost weight and couldn’t fathom pulling my hands out to hold my iPad. Or, waking up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom and deciding I would rather risk a kidney infection than to get out of my sleeping bag. I did manage to inch my nose out from under the covers to hiss at my husband to turn on the portable heater. (After all, this is his fault right? If he had given me a girl, I would’ve stayed home with her.)

Have you ever seen a wet cat? That was me. Because, did I mention that it was drizzling and raining? We had to hike to the bathrooms. As one of only two moms on this ill-fated, windy, wet camping trip, I can say that it was not a desirable situation in the middle of the 40 degree night. The others had either learned their lesson before, or are just smarter than me.

Needless to say, I didn’t get any reading done. I did, however, get in my nice, comfy car the next morning and drive home with my youngest, feeling only a bit guilty at leaving my oldest and husband behind. Of course, not guilty enough to suffer with them for the next two nights. I’m glad I had only committed to one night. Now, I’m finally getting to read that funny book in the comfort of my big, warm, cushy bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment