Monday, December 31, 2012

I Should've Been An Expert


I’ve worked for about five and half hours today. I realized it was time to call it quits when I was spending more time researching how Dylan can get past a level in ACIII and updating Facebook, than researching the best methods of sealcoating. 
Besides, after spending much of my day emailing and calling experts that are clearly too important to have to work on New Year’s Eve, I began to see it was truly a wasted day. I need an Experts R’ Us. Do you think we can get one of those on tap? Unfortunately, I have seven articles due in two weeks. Two of them I can write in my sleep, but the others require these experts who are too smart to have to work today. I should’ve been an expert.

At this point in my researching day, it's probably better that I don't write anything that I'm paid to write or talk to anyone, because I'm more like the ginger-headed "This one time, at band camp" girl from American Pie, but without her meds. Clearly, I need to exercise. But, I took one look outside this morning when I was kissing my husband good-bye and saw the rain and fog and gray clouds and said forget that. I told him "good luck with that" and quickly shut and locked the door. 

This is how my writing day typically goes: Fix breakfast and get kids to school. Come home, look around and decide to either do laundry, take a shower, go workout, or write. I choose anything but writing. Then I do one of the other things (usually shower). After that, I’m feeling refreshed and usually famished so I make myself lunch and think about writing. Then I sit down at my computer and check my email, Facebook, the news. Half an hour later, I look at the clock and it’s almost time to get the kids. So, I get down to the business of writing something to make myself seem productive. 

So now you guys know why it’s taking me so long to finish my novel (at least I have a first draft). And, all of the above is for stuff I’m paid to do. But, I chalk it up to research and kind of writing, because I’m always thinking of things in my head. Trust me, the conversations in my head are way funnier. I just can't ever remember what I was thinking by the time I sit down in front of a computer.

Anyway, if I’d been an expert I wouldn’t have to track down all of those other experts who are too smart to have to work on New Year’s Eve and I could write my own article without them. I may do that anyway.

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment